Don’t you love Tomato Soup? I absolutely do and love making variations to it. Sometimes I mix it with corn, basil, garlic and so on to make variations.
This time I roasted tomatoes, garlic and thyme for an additional sweetness and flavour to make a vegan creamy version and added basil and coconut milk. We loved this and I am making this again for sure. I left it slightly chunky because that gives me a feeling of getting full soon. If you don’t like it chunky, you could grind yours finely.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Tomatoes – 4, large
- Basil leaves – 1 cup
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Onion – 1, medium
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thyme – few sprigs
- Olive oil – 2-3 tablespoons
- Black pepper – freshly ground
- Salt – to taste
- Take an oven dish and cover it with an aluminium foil. Place roughly chopped tomatoes, garlic cloves and thyme sprigs on it.
- Sprinkle salt and freshly crushed black peppercorns on it and drizzle olive oil generously.
- Place it in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes or so at 180 degree Celsius.
- Cool this for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, add some oil to a heavy bottom and add long slices of onions to it. Caramelize the onions till golden brown.
- In a blender, add chopped basil leaves, caramelized onions and the grilled tomatoes-garlic.
- I like it slightly coarse and chunky. Add it back to the heavy bottom pan and add the coconut milk and let the mixture come to a boil.
- Season it with salt and black pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with garlic bread.
Do you love soups? Check out my other soup recipes:
- Tomato-Beetroot-Carrot Winter Soup
- Pumpkin Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Beetroot Lentil Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Lemon Coriander Soup
- Mexican Bean-Bell Pepper Soup