Quinoa is a super food and is so versatile and healthy. It’s easy to digest and full of protein, iron, manganese and other important minerals. It can be used for salads, patties, cakes, brownies and so on. I could go on and on about it, literally. J
I was low on stock for a few weeks and as soon as I got it this weekend, I decided to make myself a fusion dish. Upma is a beloved Indian breakfast option, it delicious and filling and I decided to swap the regular semolina and use quinoa instead and loved the result. This is my go-to dish and I love creating it again and again. Here the quick recipe for it, it would take you less than 15 minutes to make it and is so handy on weekdays.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10-12 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Quinoa – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 10
- Potato – 1, medium
- Peas – 1/3 cup
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Green Chilli – 1
- Lemon juice – 1-2 tablespoons
- Ginger – 3-inch piece
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chana/Tuhar Daal (pigeon lentil) – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 3 cups
- Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Start with finely chopping the carrots, potato and beans.
- In a pan, boil 1.5 cups of water. Over it and keep it aside.
- In a wok or kadhai, add a tablespoon of oil and let it heat up.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add a diced green chilli, lentils, grated ginger and curry leaves and let them temper.
- After less than a minute, add the chopped veggies and salt.
- Wash the quinoa thoroughly under running water and add it to the wok.
- Add hot water and let the quinoa cook on medium-high flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the water evaporate and squeeze in half a lemon.
- Your Quinoa Upma is ready to be served.
Love Upma? Do check out my Tomato Upma recipe too.