Wantons are such a great savoury food. Made these amazing crunchy pockets with a healthy and yummy vegetable filling inside. I made them from whole wheat veg wantons for dinner this week and they turned out to be perfect. Here’s the recipe, let me how do you like it.
For the wantons and filling:
- Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
- Water – 3-4 tablespoons
- Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
- Spring onions – 1, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1, finely chopped
- Ginger – 5 inch, juliennes
- Garlic – 2, finely chopped
- Light soy – 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – for frying
- Salt – to taste
For the dip:
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Red chillis – 2
- Take whole wheat flour, salt and a tablespoon of oil in a bowl.
- Mix well and then add cold water to knead into a slightly tight but smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Finely dice the cabbage, carrot and spring onion for the mix.
- Take oil in a wok and add julienned ginger and crushed garlic to it.
- Add the cabbage, carrot and the root part of the onion to it.
- Add salt and let the veggies sweat and cook.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add the spring greens and sesame seeds next.
- Allow the mix to cook on simmer until all the liquid evaporates and the mix dries up.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Take the dough and make small balls and roll them into small flatbreads.
- Add a spoonful of mix in each flattened dough.
- Dab water on the periphery on the corners of the circle and press the other side and make a snail like shape.
- Repeat this with the entire dough.
- Heat oil in a wok and once it’s hot enough, add the wontons in the oil, 3-4 at a time without overcrowding the wok.
- Cook on medium heat until the wantons turn brown and are cooked thoroughly.
- Heat water in a pan and add the tomatoes in the boiling water.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and then drench them in cold water and remove the peel.
- In a grinder, add the peeled tomatoes, garlic, red chilis and salt and grind into a paste.
- Serve the hot wantons with the tomato dip.