Absolutely love those hot donuts! The crispy hot donuts with super chocolaty or cinnamon-y coatings make me happy. Sharing these donuts two-way last weekend but was lazy to write the recipes. Finally, got to write these eggless donut recipes and share these today. Here are the 2 versions:
- Chocolate ganache
- Cinnamon sugar
PREPARATION TIME: 1.5 hours
COOKING TIME: 10- 12 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Hard
- All-purpose flour – 1 cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Butter – 1 ½ tablespoons
- Dry active yeast – ¾ teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – a pinch
- Vanilla essence – 4-5 drops
- Vegetable oil – for frying
For the cinnamon donuts –
For the chocolate ganache –
- Take the all-purpose flour and add melted butter, salt, vanilla essence, powdered sugar and dry active yeast to it.
- Heat the milk so that it is lukewarm and add it to the flour mix and knead it.
- The dough should be at a sticky consistency.
- Dust a flat surface with some flour and knead for 7-8 minutes so that gluten formation starts.
- Pre-heat an oven for 10 minutes and let it cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Then place the dough in a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth and keep it in the closed microwave for 30 minutes.
- The warmth of the oven will make the yeast work and the dough will become around twice in size.
- Take the dough and start rolling it with a rolling pin on a flat surface.
- Make a pizza base style base with a thickness of around ½ inch.
- If you have a donut cutter, then use it. Else, use a glass to cut a round shape. Then use a small bottle cap to cut the middle to achieve the donut shape.
- Keep using the leftover donut dough to make more donuts.
- Heat the microwave for 10 more minutes. Then remove from power and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Keep the raw donuts for 30-40 more minutes.
- In the meanwhile, take cinnamon and powdered sugar and make a mix and keep aside.
- For the ganache, take coarsely chopped dark chocolate, heavy cream and powdered sugar in a heavy bottom pan and heat it the chocolate melts and it mix starts coming to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and the ganache is ready.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the donuts one by one on medium heat.
- Dip half of the donuts in the chocolate ganache.
- While with the other half, dip donuts into melted butter and then roll them in the cinnamon – sugar mix.
- Serve hot.
- The milk should be lukewarm and not hot otherwise the yeast would get inactive.
- I have fermented the yeast for 30 minutes in the oven which is a warmer environment. If you keep it to ferment at room temperature, you might need to leave it for 1.5 hours or so till it doubles.
- The oil should not be too hot.
- Do not crowd the wok to allow the donuts to swell.
- You can make a white chocolate ganache, raspberry coulis or any other topping of your choice.