This falafel style veg cutlet is made from beaten rice (or poha as it’s called in Hindi) and potatoes. This is a really light and tasty vegetable cutlet recipe, you can add seasonal leafy vegetables like spinach to increase the nutrient content.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Beaten Rice/Poha – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Potatoes – 3 medium, boiled
- Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Carom Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Anise Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Coriander – Few sprigs
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying
- Boil potatoes and peel them and set them aside.
- Soak beaten rice (poha) in a bowl for 10 minutes until they are soft.
- Squeeze the rice with your hands until it’s lump-free.
- Squeeze peeled potatoes in the mixture and knead till it’s smooth as a dough.
- Add coriander leaves, chopped onions, chilli, salt, carom seeds, anise seeds and asafetida.
- Make small cutlets from the dough and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the cutlets 1-2 at a time and deep fry until they turn golden brown.
- Serve hot with coriander chutney.